Friday 20 February 2015

Pride in our public service

Hello everyone

As an alternative to today's rainy sky, this was last Friday's walk to work
Care from our public services
I have to start this week with the sad Valentine’s day I spent with my father, dealing with the death of my dear stepmother Helen, from Alzheimer's. The relationship of this event to work is that for the short term at least, I have become the carer of a carer. After two years of devoted caring for my declining stepmother, my father is exhausted and sad. His achievement of care at home and a peaceful death in her own bed for the woman he loved for more than 40 years was enormously aided by a whole range of public servants. And as we left the registrars on Tuesday, he commented that every single public servant from the assistant registrar to the carers who recently started helping him with her personal care, to the GP and myriad of others, have all been quite fantastic. This is an accolade for services in East Sussex but it is also an accolade for public services more generally. It goes to the heart of why I am a dedicated public servant and proud of what we achieve every day. The services that our staff and partners give, are critical to sustaining a civilised society. And let's not forget the volunteers (of whom Helen was one) whose contribution is often unsung yet so key to making the challenges in the cycle of life manageable.

When I went into public service I remember one of my university tutors writing and congratulating me. I hope that university tutors would still do that nowadays, but I rather wonder. As a local authority we ensure and assure a wide range of services and functions. Whether it's seafront services ensuring the safety of those caught unaware by the ferocity of the sea; social care staff enabling a dying citizen to achieve their wish to die at home; or council tax staff who ensure we receive the necessary payments to contribute to supporting the £2.1 million we spend each day on the 800 or so services we provide.

Seafront services on Hove promenade
Our customer service centre at Bartholomew House

A speedy response
Another key area of public service that I want to raise this week is that of refuse and recycling. I am delighted by the speedy clear up following on from last week’s industrial action. It’s not just me that has noticed, so thank you. I have also received a number of supportive messages on twitter following the super quick removal of some graffiti that I had drawn to my attention at the end of last week. Again this public service is noticed and makes a big difference.

The graffiti before it was removed 

A festival to celebrate
Finally I wanted to end on an optimistic and on celebratory note. On Wednesday night the programme for 2015 Brighton Festival was launched. This year the guest director is novelist Ali Smith. As ever, the programme, including the Children’s festival, looks eclectic and exciting. And culture is vital to wellbeing and happiness, so I for one am going to start planning some cultural events for May and I encourage you to do the same.

The 2015 Brighton Festival brochure - get your copy around the city

Keeping our city running, together
So coming back to my theme of public service, I would like to thank everybody who works for and with local authorities, whether in health, the police or the private and community and voluntary sectors. It’s our shared effort that keeps our city running with vital services for citizens and support to the vibrant economy of the city. We must work together, and in tough financial times prioritise, find new ways of doing things, and be prepared to be open and share our resources and responsibilities with citizens and communities.


Best wishes
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.