Friday 29 August 2014

Shades of dark and light

It’s getting to that time of year - my favourite, and it’s coming early; vines loaded and blessed; Discovery and Worchester Pearmain slipping nicely off branches into welcoming hands.  Of course some people, like Penny, are still on hols.  She asked me to cover for this her second week and to provide a few words and pics for her weekly blog.  To be honest I'm a little disappointed she didn't leave much in the way of Top Exec duties; co-signatory on a critical economic treaty - the Greater Portslade Initiative perhaps, or a major creative arts alliance with Newhaven.  Alas, nothing - I think she saw me coming.

Penny's blog is of course a sixpenny tour around her last seven days and the working lives of the people she meets along the way.  I confess I haven't got out so much this past fortnight, so I am afraid you are in for my usual ramblings.  Although, I did make it up to the Racehill Community Orchard where I met Neil and two other very nice volunteers, happily mulching young apple trees.  It's a neat setup with 80 trees planted and another 100 or so to come, courtesy of Brighton Permaculture.  There is a green gym, mindfulness, healthwalks, kids’ treasure hunts but sadly not as many punters as it merits.  I suppose like fruit trees, these things take time. There were a lot of dog walkers and it left me thinking ‘now there’s a healthy activity we should tap into more’.  I would certainly recommend a stroll around the place.  In fact, I spotted a few roadside apple trees en route so I may be back later for some furtive scrumping (it's a victimless crime and I, as director for Community Safety should know).

All manner of things can cross your path when standing in for Penny.  Local politics is always up there of course, but this week it was also Gaza.  You may have seen some press coverage around next month's proposed council debate on a boycott of certain goods and services.  International crisis it certainly is, though it prompted some thought on local themes. 

The role of the council for instance; something that Penny has mentioned in a previous blog and that is very much in our current thinking.  Not just the political role at home - or away - depending on your viewpoint, but also what we provide, commission, assure, lead or whatever in the face of an anticipated four years of cuts to our central budget. I know some of you are already feeding back ideas, but this conversation will – has to – reach all council staff, so expect it to be thematic for some time to come.

However, the council raison d’être does pale somewhat in the face of current dark events around the world; in Palestine certainly, but also in Syria, Iraq and a host of other countries.  A hopeful Arab spring plunged into bleakest winter.  You’ve probably seen the news of local youths caught up in some of it, all too tragically.  There is a lot of backroom work going on through teams in Community Safety, Children and Adult Safeguarding Services, with ‘Prevent’ and the police, and most crucially with local communities to try and avert further tragedy; the success of which will only be judged by non-events.  We’ve held two community ‘gatherings’ with some frank exchanges, but we do have a collective will to work together. One thing is certain; this situation that will be with us - on our watch - for some time.  Safeguarding is probably the toughest and most thankless role that sterling people within the city take on.  When it goes wrong – witness Rotherham – the results are shocking for communities, catastrophic for victims, as well as calamitous for those charged with their safety.

So I am looking forward to a little break of my own in September, although I’ve had a couple of long weekends already over the summer; one in Northern France and another in Scotland.  With the 100 year anniversary, we took the opportunity to visit the First World War graves and the very moving Somme Museum in Picardie.  Given the tone of this blog to date, I won’t dwell on that. 
 
Our trip to Scotland was more uplifting and we stayed with my brother Ted and his wife, Graça. I was heartened by the engagement - even in my split family - in the Independence Debate (it’s a tense time for us).  We saw some great Commonwealth Games as well as the Bridge of Allan Highland Games, which were equally excellent: running, dancing, wrestling, pipe bands, hammer throwing and of course caber tossing in a glorious setting straight out of Chariots of Fire, and all washed down with a sprinkling of Scottish showers. Because of the handicapping system with staggered starts, I watched a 75 year old man sprint –and he did – against a much younger field. It was a wonderful fusion of rivalry, competition and inclusion. I even saw Campbells and MacDonalds shake hands warmly.
 
There is always hope. 
Speak soon,

Tom

PS. I don’t have any local pics but here's a few holiday snaps of the Bridge of Allan games. Get yourself up there next year, the cabers come free. 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.